Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Carving

Now that the kids are getting a little older we did a few more Halloween projects this year besides the traditional pumpkin carving. They have had so much fun with all the Halloween decorations around. Kate used to just scream and cry anytime we'd show her a mask or pretty much anything Halloween-y. But this year she just laughs at all of it and tells us that "the silly and scary things are just for Halloween so that makes them fun." We are sure glad for her change in perspective.
Joe and the kids drew a huge pumpkin sign and colored it and hung on the wall in our family room. We also made a giant black spider out of trash bags and hung it from the ceiling of our front porch.


We've gotten our pumpkin carving tradition down to an art now. First we saran wrap the kitchen table. Then we let Daddy hollow out the pumpkins. This year Sammy kept looking at the pumpkin guts and saying, "Eeeewwwwww!"
Then we let the kids draw the faces on their pumpkins and Daddy carves it out just like they drew them.


Then we put the candles inside and...


take a picture all together with our newly carved pumpkins.

7 comments:

Waters said...

Rach, I love your pumpkin carving tradition. I feel so bad for Valerie because she hasnt ever been introduced to the tradition. SAD! When she does she'll think, what on earth kept you from doing this in the past?
Suran wrapping the table is great! Ill have to remember that.

hilla said...

Those are so cute! I am impressed! I still haven't even decorated... think I missed the boat this year! oops. WEll done with the festivities!

The Crazy Heads said...

Looks so good. We didn't get that adventurous this year, maybe next year. I didn't really feel up to it. You guys look like you had a lot of fun, what a fun event.

Its All Good Ya'll said...

Isn't it fun to have kids old enough to really play with? I love it!

Lacey said...

YOU GUYS ARE SO CREATIVE, I JUST BARELY GAVE IN TO MY KIDS BEGGING FOR THE HALLOWEEN DECOR TO GO UP. I REALLY HATE HALLOWEEN, IT'S A CREEPY PAEGAN HOLIDAY, THAT HAS GOTTN WAY TO GOREY! BUT I KNOW IT'S IMPORTANT TO GIVE YOUR CHILDREN GOOD MEMRIES, SO I DO IT ANYWAY! SEE YOU AT THE TRUNK OR TREAT!

williamsfam5 said...

those are some big funny pumpkins you got there.
love,
brooklyn

Carlie said...

Wow, they have some artistic talent there! Very cute, very original! Cute family!